Monday, March 14, 2016

200+ Mile Review Trek Top Fuel 8

Trek Top Fuel


I wanted to start this post with a picture from one of the many adventures I have taken with this bike. This picture was taken at Raystown Lake, which fortunately for me is about a 1.5 hour drive away. Its great to be able to ride epic trails like that so close to home! I wrote my initial review back in September. I know to most of you only having a little over 200 miles on a bike in 6 months is pathetic but for me being a father of 2 young boys and having a job with alternating shifts as well as my military obligations I am happy with that!

I can say that everyone of those miles have been great! Even the grinding out of the climbs we have here in the mountains of WV and surrounding areas. Speaking of climbing, I had always rode a hardtail in the past. I had some reservations spending up for a full squishy...NOT ANYMORE! This bike climbs better then my hardtails. Maybe some of that is because my legs don't take the blunt of the descents anymore but I'll get to those later. I am running a 1X set-up on this bike. Yes I am in the stone age it seems only running 10spd with a normal sized cassette but may upgrade soon! My fitness has improved so I am able to pedal more consistently on the climbs. With the geometry of this bike and the stiffness I do not get the "hops" while climbing. Its tuned well for me by the awesome guys down at EPBC so I don't need to worry about locking/unlocking at all. I can just go ride this bike!




Raystown LakeI had mentioned descents earlier, let me preface this by saying that downhill was and is my weakest area when it comes to mountain biking, and for some that's were all the fun is had. For me I differ my opinion, its a necessary evil; what goes up must come down! I think some of the guys I ride with will say that I am improving on the downs. I credit this solely to the Top Fuels geometry and the Boost hubs which give more strength through the wheel. Almost every ride I am improving a time on a descent or two riding this bike. The feel of this bike has given my confidence a boost. (get it...boost?) I will also be taking this bike to Bryce Resort this summer for some downhill riding. Practice makes perfect right?

My closing thoughts on this bike...

The Top Fuel is described as a Cross Country race bike on steroids. I have ridden a Trek Superfly which does ride like a cross country bike. The Top Fuel rides well in roots, rocks, mud, wherever! Very well put together bike. For all you all-mountain riders out there, I can also run a 27.5 Plus wheel and tire on this frame in the rear. This frame can bring the argument to an end! Run the 27.5 in the rear for control and stiffness and the 29er up front to roll over obstacles...I'm sticking with 29er all around though!

Please do yourself a favor and go ride a Top Fuel!

Trek Top Fuel

Trek Top Fuel

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review. I have been looking at getting a new mountain bike and it seems everyone has given the Top Fuel great reviews. Definitely thinking I'll go with this bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am telling you that you won't regret that decision. Great all around bike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got one for myself. Only one dirt ride so far. Getting used to the 29 inch wheels, coming from 26. Nice bike for the money.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear back from you...!